A clinical trials research group situated in Thika seeks to recruit for a Chief Laboratory Technologist.
The research studies conducted are mainly on HIV/AIDS area.
Job Purpose: To oversee the management in the operations and coordination of laboratory activities
Principal Duties and Essential Functions:
- Responsible for assisting the laboratory Director in the overall direction of the Clinical Research Centre Laboratory.
- Responsible for assisting the Director in the design and implementation of the Quality management program.
- Ensuring that the laboratory produces quality clinical results by directly participating in testing and supervising.
- Responsible for supervising all the laboratory functions including but not limited to clinical laboratory SOP development and maintenance, proficiency testing, phlebotomy (policy and procedure).
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all clinical laboratory related issues, results, interpretation and logistics.
- Responsible for developing and facilitating a good management structure within the laboratory.
- Conducting protocol for specific laboratory tests & procedures
- Writing and implementing an analytical laboratory plan for newly implemented research and/or clinical studies
- Management of overall in charge of shipments- by obtaining permission from ERC & MOH and Liaises with couriers and Seattle for shipment of samples.
- Liaising with Clinic on matters related to the study and promoting Lab – Clinic interface.
- Responsible for the coordination of all regulatory and compliance activities and training requirements for the laboratory.
- Oversee annual review of lab SOPs & initiate updates as needed; collect signatures and maintain inventory of archived documents.
- Managing the QA program including EQA and IQC.
- Responsible for the overall maintenance of the laboratory equipment.
- Maintaining laboratory records, data management and good documentation practices.
- Preparing duty Rota and ensures all sections are adequately covered.
- Conducting lab staff performance and appraisals, orientation and training new employees on Human subject, GCP.
- Supervising laboratory technologists in the collection, processing and storage of samples.
- Ensures adherence to study protocols and proper handling of bio-hazardous materials.
- Coordinating collaborations with other laboratories
- Serves as liaison to internal and external investigators and collaborators.
- Ensures on-going integrity of laboratory samples by overseeing all handling and repository projects while assuring accurate documentation and adherence to protocols and to timelines.
- Responsible for assisting the laboratory Director in the overall direction of the Clinical Trials Research Laboratory.
- Advising the laboratory director on technical issues within the laboratory.
Education and Experience:
- Possess Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or related discipline.
- A Masters’ Degree in a Science related field.
- At least seven (7) years’ experience in a busy clinical research laboratory.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in management position.
Job Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in carrying out laboratory testing for research and/or clinical trials.
- Experience in usage of Laboratory information Management systems (LIMS)
- Must possess a scientific imagination commensurate with the independent execution of research projects
- Trained on Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP).
- Experience in laboratory audit processes.
- Must have an aptitude for technical problem solving.
- Ability to effectively supervise laboratory staff, interns and students on attachment in the laboratory.
- Good communication and management skills.
- Knowledge of basic word processing and basic statistical skills of analyzing laboratory data and evaluation of quality control laboratory data.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your application letter addressed to the Principal Investigator with your daytime telephone contact, telephone contacts of three professional referees, a detailed curriculum vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 24th March 2017.