a leading real estate development partner offering solutions that range from project management to co-development and property trading in the Kenyan real estate sector. They have a wide portfolio of blue chip clientele and partners having achieved unmatched recognition in the industry and effectively built its brand as a reliable delivery partner.
They have has responded to the socio-economic needs of the growing population through the development of innovative developments that positively transform neighbourhoods and communities throughout the region.
Are you a young seasoned Health & Safety professional who is confident, ambitious, resourceful and imaginative with the desire to challenge yourself? Are you interested in being part of a team focused towards transforming the real estate market in Kenya and beyond the East African region? If so, then this is the job you are looking for.
Our client would like to fill the position of a Health and Safety Manager who will be reporting to the Chief Executive Officer.
The Health & Safety Manager will be responsible for the review, development, implementation and monitoring of the Company’s Health & Safety management systems, to ensure the safety of staff, tenants, visitors and contractors, in line with current Health and Safety international best practice and associated legislation. The goal is to ensure the workplace/sites meet all legal expectations and actively supports occupational health and safety.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and develop all aspects of the company’s Health and Safety Policy and activity, and enforce policies to establish a culture of Health and Safety
- Monitor, evaluate and review existing new and upcoming Health and Safety legislation and ensure that the company has systems and procedures in place to meet legal compliance
- Work proactively with managers and other key staff to establish and maintain a programme of continuous improvement in the management of Health and Safety within their areas of responsibility, which includes regular audits
- Ensure that rigorous risk assessment and accident management systems are in place, undertake risk assessment processes to identify hazards and ensure appropriate control measures are in place
- Discuss areas for improvement with relevant staff and/or external bodies and agree appropriate corrective action
- Liaise with site Health and Safety officers on health surveillance where a risk assessment has identified a need, including carrying out stress risk assessments when requires, and maintain appropriate records
Provide staff with comprehensive and relevant information and training on Health and Safety systems and procedures, including advising on equipment purchase and workplace practices
- Maintain the accident and “near miss” database, investigate accidents or incidents to discover causes and handle workers’ compensation claims
- Undertake the planning and implementation of fire drills and other evacuation procedures
- Design and deliver training sessions and presentations on health and safety and accident prevention, including new staff induction and residence managers training
- Inspect equipment and machinery to observe possible unsafe conditions
- Maintain a central record of all risk assessments, report on health and safety awareness, issues and statistics.
- Attend regular update training on Health and Safety legislation and the application of key policies in youth housing and advise the company’s management of key developments and areas for change/improvement.
- Ensure that appropriate records are maintained in compliance with legal requirements, and that necessary notices are displayed and reviewed.
- Be the convener of the company’s Health and Safety Committee and actively promote a safe environment throughout the company’s sites
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Professional certification as a Health &Safety practitioner highly desirable.
- 8+ years’ experience in the same capacity or higher highly desirable.
- Deep understanding of Occupational Health and Safety regulations/legislations.
- Experience in organizing and delivering training on Health and Safety.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and experience with, laws dealing with government and/or commercial contract administration, particularly contract negotiation, preparation and administration.
Required skills and key competencies
- Ability to produce reports and developing relevant policies.
- Ability to discover opportunities for improving conditions and executing various safety programmes.
- Leadership and management skills
- Training and capacity development skills
- Good Knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment
- Outstanding attention to detail and observation ability.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal abilities
How to apply:
If you are interested in the position and have the skills and talents our client is looking for, we would like to hear from you.
Please make your application through our website http://www.dorbe-leit.co.ke before close of business 22nd March 2017. Only successful candidates will be contacted.