The purpose of the Nutrition Manager is to facilitate the achievement of nutrition objectives to reduce morbidity and mortality in South Sudan by delivering quality emergency nutrition services in South Sudan
The Nutrition Manager will achieve this by assisting in the direct implementation of nutrition interventions which may include screening, treatment of severe acute malnutrition, moderate acute malnutrition, or provision of blanket supplementary feeding.
He/She will provide supervision and training to local staff to allow them to implement the programmes. The nutrition manager is also in charge of writing reports daily and weekly reports, developing and ensuring good quality data collection, recording, analysis and storage, assist with ensuring adequate stocks, provide training to local staff as needed, and monitor overall nutrition situation in the area of intervention and observe for potential outbreaks.
Health and Nutrition Project Manager
Reporting to Job Holder:
- Nutrition Officers
- Local staff in nutrition project sites
- Undertake the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned nutrition field interventions in line with the activity plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal and any applicable national and international guidelines and standards
- Conduct daily supervision to clinics and other nutrition facilities for support and supervision
- Provide training for local staff in line with the appropriate international and South Sudan guidelines.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation of intervention implementation
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project
- Oversee the process of data collection, collation and dissemination to meet the requirements and deadlines set by Medair and/or external partners
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports (e.g. weekly, monthly, quarterly and final reports) as requested by field managers, HQ and donors
- Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals as requested by field managers
- Assist the Project Manager to manage and oversee the assigned local nutrition team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. The team may include certified health staff (e.g. medical assistants, nurses, midwives, community health workers), other nutrition staff (e.g. nutrition assistants, defaulter tracers) and support staff (e.g. cooks, cleaners, guards)
- Assist to facilitate regular team meetings with the assigned nutrition team, reviewing team and individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing an opportunity for feedback
- Ensure the assigned nutrition team members receive relevant and appropriate supervision, coaching, mentoring and training in order to develop their personal and professional skills, knowledge and understanding. This may be through on-the-job training and taught sessions
- Promote the health and security of the nutrition team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices
- Assist in the recruitment of local field staff within Aweil following all HR policies of Medair and the Government of South Sudan
- Work with the Project Manager and other Nutrition Managers to manage finances within the field location
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the intervention team, ensuring all required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner
Communication and Coordination
- Maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned nutrition team, Medair in-country health and nutrition managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs)
- Represent Medair at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs
- Manage the correct and timely ordering of needed stocks and supplies to the field location in coordination with the Project Manager
- Manage all stocks within the field location ensuring proper stock keeping records are in place
- Monitor expiration dates of all stocks in the field location to ensure timely use
- Assist team in intervention planning and preparations in line with intervention check-list
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardized formats are used and guidelines are followed
- Implement, as far as is possible within operational constraints, relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
- Participate as requested in Medair internal workshops and distance learning sessions to keep up with changing trends, new guidelines and best practices
- Filing and archiving of all required records and documents for the assigned nutrition project(s) according to the requirements of Medair, donors and relevant local authorities
- Line management of assigned local nutrition staff, including recruitment, performance monitoring, disciplinary action, etc.
Qualifications for the Nutrition Manager Job
- University Degree in Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics, Health or Public Health.
- Two or more years of relevant experience as a nutritionist, experience working in a nutrition programme in a humanitarian context is preferable.
- Good CMAM programme knowledge, report writing skills, and project implementation and management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate high level of initiative, diplomacy, and tact
- Excellent knowledge of computer software – MS Office, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook
- Must be flexible and be able to work independently and as part of a team / body
- Strong Christian commitment and passionate about serving the poor
How To Apply
This is an intriguing opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. Interested candidates please submit;
Detailed and updated C.V.
Cover letter describing how you consider yourself suitable against the main responsibilities. Please also include your remuneration requirements and availability.
Submit your application titled ‘Nutrition Manager’ to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 26th April, 2016 only short listed candidates will be contacted.